About our nursing programs
The Germanna Nursing programs are a part of the Health Science Pathway. The program is based at the Locust Grove Campus in Orange, VA and the Barbara J. Fried Center (BJFC) in Stafford, VA. Classroom time may be online or at the Locust Grove Campus/Stafford Center. Labs may be online and at either the Locust Grove Campus or Stafford Center. Clinical hours are completed in a variety of settings throughout our region including long-term care facilities, hospitals, schools, community settings, and clinics.
According to the American Nurses Association (ANA), nursing can be described as both an art and a science; a heart and a mind. At its heart, lies a fundamental respect for human dignity and an intuition for a patient’s needs. This is supported by the mind, in the form of rigorous core learning. Due to the vast range of specialisms and complex skills in the nursing profession, each nurse will have specific strengths, passions, and expertise. Nurses form the backbone of healthcare provision in the United States.
- Perform physical exams and health histories before making critical decisions
- Perform basic activities of living (bathing, feeding, assisting with walking, to name a few)
- Provide health promotion, counseling and education
- Administer medications and other personalized interventions
- Coordinate care, in collaboration with a wide array of health care professionals
We encourage you to explore ANA’s website for more information.
Detailed program information and course requirements can be found in the College Catalog.