Germanna G3 Eligibility
Germanna G3 is open to any Virginia resident who:
- Qualifies for in-state tuition
- Has a total household income of less than or equal to 400% of the Federal Poverty Level (roughly an income of $100,000 for a family of four) - Refer to this guide for more information
- Is enrolled in a minimum of six credit hours at Germanna in a designated Germanna G3 program
- Has applied for federal and/or state financial aid
Students are expected to maintain a schedule of at least six credit hours (typically two classes), hold a GPA of 2.0 or higher and show progress towards earning an associate degree in three years to maintain eligibility.
Poverty guidelines for 2021 - Aid Year 2023-24
|# in Household||Poverty guideline for 2021 - Aid Year 2023-24||400%|
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the G3 Program?
- The G3 Program is a tuition assistance program for any Virginia resident, regardless of any prior degree received, who qualifies for in-state tuition and whose family income falls below an identified threshold. Eligible students may enroll in designated programs leading to jobs in high-demand fields.
How does tuition assistance work?
- G3 Program funds make up the difference between what federal or state financial aid pays for and the cost of tuition, fees, and books for the program. This means that an individual enrolling in a certificate or degree program must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be eligible for the program. An individual enrolling in a designated short-term credential program must provide documentation of household income or eligibility for federal assistance programs.
Does a student have to enroll full-time?
- The G3 Program will be available for full- and part-time students. A part-time student must enroll in a minimum of 6 credit hours per semester or in an approved short-term program.
- The G3 Program will provide additional financial assistance to students who qualify for full Federal Pell Grants (0 EFC) and enroll full-time (12 or more credit hours in fall and spring semesters and 12 or more credit hours in summer). This additional assistance is intended to reduce the number of part- time hours a student has to work so that he or she can spend more time studying.
Is there a time limit for eligibility?
- As long as a G3-eligible student continues in the same program pathway, he or she has up to three years to complete an associate degree.
- A student who completes a certificate and stops out to work will still be eligible for G3 if he or she returns within one year. After returning, the student will have two years to complete the associate degree.
- In order to remain eligible for the G3 Program, a student must:
- Demonstrate progress to complete an associate degree in three years
- Maintain a 2.0 grade point average and make satisfactory academic progress
Are the programs geared more towards two-year associate degrees or shorter-term workforce programs?
- Both. An important benefit of the G3 Program is that it recognizes the different pathways to success depending on a person’s individual needs and circumstances. For some people, a short-term credential or certificate program is the best fit. Others may need a year-long program, and for some a two-year associate degree may be the best fit. What is important is that each shorter-term program is part of an associate degree pathway, so people can always come back and build on skills and programs already attained.
How do you apply for Workforce Credential programs?
- Go to Germanna Courses & Registration page and create a student profile (new students only).
- After you have made your student profile, and show as domiciled in Virginia, click here for the FANTIC application and document check list.
- Complete the application and gather all required documents. Contact Mary McIntosh at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone at (540) 891-3029 to receive the secure link to upload your documents.
- Once your application is approved, you will be contacted by a Workforce advisor to complete your registration.
- Administration of Justice
- Early Childhood Development
- Information Systems Technology
- Nursing – LPN to RN
- Physical Therapist Assistant
- Technical Studies
- Advanced Emergency Medical Technician (AEMT)
- Automotive Technology Automotive Diagnostician
- Automotive Technology Automotive Technician
- Certified Nurse Aide
- Computer Aided Drafting and Design (CADD)
- Data Center Tech/IT tech
- Dental Assisting
- Dental Expanded Functions
- Foundations of Criminal Justice
- Early Childhood Development
- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
- Engineering Technology
- Health Professions Preparation
- Health Care Technician
- Industrial Maintenance Technician
- Medication Aide
- Microcomputer App Business
- Paraprofessional Counseling
- Pharmacy Tech
- Practical Nursing
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) Cloud Practitioner
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) Certified Solutions Architect
- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support
- Backflow Prevention Device Certification
- Carpentry – Level 1 & 2
- Certified Billing and Coding Specialist (CBCS)
- Certified Ethical Hacker
- Certified Medical Administrative Assistant
- CISCO Certified Entry Networking Technician
- CISCO Certified Network
- Clinical Medical Assistant (CMA)
- CompTIA A+
- CompTIA Advanced Security Practicioner (CASP+)
- CompTIA IT Fundamentals
- CompTIA Linux+
- CompTIA Network+
- Construction Craft Laborer - Level 1 & 2
- Construction Project Management
- Contractor's License
- Core-Introductory Craft Skills
- Electrical – Level 1 & 2
- Flux Core Arc Welding (FCAW)
- Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW)
- Heavy Equipment Operations (HEO) – Level 1 & 2
- HVAC – Level 1 & 2
- Industrial Maintenance Mechanic – Level 1
- Job Planning, Benchwork & Layout
- Level I CNC Milling: Operations
- Level I CNC Milling: Programming Setup & Operations
- Measurement, Materials, and Safety
- Plumbing – Level 1 & 2
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW)
- Slurry Seal
- Surface Treatment
- VDOT Asphalt Field Level 1 & 2
- VDOT Asphalt Plant Level 1 & 2
- Work Zone Flagger