New Military-Affiliated Student Checklist

1. Apply to Germanna

2. Apply for Education Benefits

  • For GI Bill Benefits (Chapters 30 MGIB, 31 VR&E, 33 Post-9/11, 35 DEA, 1606 MGIB-Select, and GySgt John David Fry Scholarship): Apply for Benefits
  • For DoD Tuition Assistance: meet with your unit's Education Service Officer for approval prior to enrolling and attach your Letter of Authorization to your Certification Request Form (see #4)
  • For DoD Spouse Tuition Assistance: MyCAA Scholarship Program
  • For Virginia State Benefits: VMSDEP (Virginia Military Survivors & Dependents Education Program)

3. Request Transcripts

4. Meet with an Advisor and Register for Classes

  • Provide a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) for veteran benefits to
  • If you are a veteran, also provide a copy of your DD Form 214, Member 4
  • If you are utilizing Tuition Assistance, provide a copy of your TA Authorization Letter
  • Meet with the Veterans Academic Advisor, Ryan Blankenship
  • Submit a Certification Request to the MVSC:
    • Sign into MyGCC
    • Click on the Student Information System (SIS) tile
    • Click on the Student Records eForms tile
    • On the left, click on Military Benefit Certify eform tab
    • When filling out the eform, toggle the "New Certification Request" option under Certification Type
  • If you change your enrollment after requesting certification (e.g. - swapping, dropping, or adding classes), submit an Certification Adjustment as soon as possible to prevent debts with the VA. To submit a Certification Adjustment, please follow the above instructions for the Certification Request, but toggle the "Adjustment Certification Request" under Certification Type instead.

5. Guest Students

Guest Students are those who are primarily attending another college or university, but wish to take transfer courses at Germanna Community College. In order to utilize your benefits at Germanna, please:

  • Obtain a Primary School Letter (also called a Guest or Parent School Letter) from your main school's Certifying Official
  • Register for classes through your MyGCC
  • Submit a Certification Request Form (see #4)
  • While completing the Certification Request Form, there will be a place to upload your Primary School Letter and attach it to your Form

If our office encounters any difficulties in completing your certification request, we will contact you.

Make a difference in the lives of students.

Keep up-to-date with our newsletter.