Education and learning are especially impaired by alcohol abuse and illicit drug use. Misuse of alcohol and other drugs/controlled substances among college students inhibits their educational development and is a growing concern among our nation’s institutions of higher education. Germanna shares this concern and is committed to creating an environment that promotes and reinforces healthy, responsible living; respect for community laws and campus standards and regulations; the individual’s responsibility within the community; and the intellectual, social, emotional, spiritual or ethical, and physical well-being of its community members.
Possession, use and distribution of marijuana remains prohibited on all VCCS property and at all community college functions under the Drug Free Schools and Communities Act and the Drug Free Workplace Act
Many physical and psychological health risks are associated with abuse of alcohol and other substances. Such behavior may result in problems in school, work, or relationships. Listed below are some health risks associated with substance abuse.
- Difficulty with attention and learning
- Physical and psychological dependence
- Damage to the brain, liver, heart, digestive and immune systems
- Accidents/unwanted sexual activity due to impaired judgment and coordination
- Increased risk of hypertension, heart disease, cancer, mental illness, other diseases and death
STANDARDS OF CONDUCT
Students who associate themselves with Germanna are expected to act as responsible adults and maintain standards appropriate to membership in GCC community. It is the student’s responsibility to attend class and participate in class activities.
The following misconduct pertains to alcohol and other drugs/controlled substances and is subject to disciplinary action:
- Use of alcoholic beverages including the purchase, consumption, possession, or sale of such items on GCC property or at college functions except where specifically authorized by Germanna.
- Smoking in areas not designated by Germanna as a smoking area.
- Possessing, using, manufacturing, or distributing any controlled substances or any type of drugs for illegal purposes.
Germanna will, at least once a year, conduct a workshop, presentation, or other program with the distinct purpose of alcohol and drug use prevention and education. Past programming has included:
- Informational table top displays
- Rappahannock Area Alcohol Safety Action Program Counselor Outreach
- Ted Talk presentations in SDV courses
- Bulletin board displays
- Free educational brochures
- Safe holiday celebration
- Alcohol-free beverage promotion “Daiquiri with the Dean” session
- Fatal Vision Goggle Demonstrations
- Think Fast Alcohol program
In even numbered years, the Dean of Student Development Office will conduct a biennial review to assess the effectiveness of educational programs, consistency of police enforcement, and to identify changes if needed.